Turmeric is probably one of the most renowned herbs of Ayurveda. Extensive research has been done throughout the globe on turmeric’s health benefits. Turmeric is an inevitable ingredient of Indian kitchen. Today we will discuss the uses and benefits of turmeric on the bases of Ayurveda and modern research.
Turmeric in Ayurveda:
Turmeric has been called as “Haridra” in Sanskrit. The world “Haridra” literally means “one which is beneficial for skin diseases.”
Synonyms of Turmeric:
- Hatta Vilasini (turmeric powder looks so nice that it enriches the value of the market or the shop which sells the spices)
- Nisha (Synonym of Night)
- Peeta or Gauri (Due to its yellow color)
- Kanchani (of golden color)
- Krimighni (relieves worms)
- Yoshitpriya (liked by women)
Ayurvedic properties of Turmeric:
Rasa (taste) – Tikta (bitter), Katu (pungent)
Guna (qualities) – Rooksha (dryness), Laghu (lightness)
Vipaka- Katu – (Converts onto pungent taste after digestion)
Veerya- Ushna – Hot potency
Effect on Tridosha – Balances Tridosha (sometimes increases Pitta)
Uses of Turmeric according to Ayurveda:
- Turmeric is best in Diabetes mellitus. Diabetes can be controlled by regular use of turmeric
- Turmeric is best in skin disorders. It relieves itching and infection of skin.
- Turmeric is best in wound healing
- Turmeric is useful in gout
- Turmeric is natural detoxifier
- Turmeric is best anti inflammatory
- It is useful in any blockages like cholesterol or arthro-sclerosis
- Useful in weight loss
- Turmeric is mild laxative, thus effective in constipation
Research on turmeric:
- Turmeric is one of the best antiseptic and immunity boosters. Chief ingredient of turmeric is “Curcumin”, which is best immunity booster. It is also helpful in allergic disorders. Turmeric is found helpful in conditions like inflammation, throat infection, tonsillitis and general fever and body aches.
- Turmeric is one of the best anti cancer medicines. “Curcumin” of turmeric is found helpful in slowing and stopping the growth of cancer cells.
How to use Turmeric:
Turmeric in sore throat or tonsillitis:
Make a glass full of luke warm water. Add a table spoon of turmeric powder and a couple of pinches of salt in it. Gargle this mixture. Try to sip (drink) some of this mixture, too. This helps in relieving the inflammation. It also provides immunity against infection.
Turmeric paste in skin disease (How to make):
Take two table spoon of turmeric. Add 1 table spoon of rose water and half table spoon of milk cream in it. Add half table spoon of sandal wood powder and half table spoon of Neem powder in it. Mix it well. Add some water if needed. Apply it on skin. Let the paste remain on skin for at least 20 minutes. Wash it with warm water.
One can use this turmeric paste skin diseases like itching, eczema, or dermatitis (Skin infection).