Everyone wants to look slim, tight and fit. Everyone is constantly aware about their physique. In Ayurveda it is said that “Kaarshyam eva varam sthaulyat” that is, being thin is better than being fat. Excessive fat may lead to number of complications including diabetes and cholesterol problems. Moreover, it is easier to gain weight than to lose.
Why do we gain weight?
First of all, we need to understand the causes behind our weight gain. It’s called the diagnosis part. Once we know the reason behind our weight gain, we can focus pin pointedly and get rid of the cause. There are various reasons behind our weight gain such as…
- All eating and no exercise: This is the most important cause of obesity. You need not to have any disease, but lethargic lifestyle and no exercise leads to fat deposition in your body which may lead to obesity.
- Hormonal disturbances: Thyroid hormone disturbance is one of the major causes for weight gain. Hypo thyroid may lead to weight gain.
- PCOD: Poly Cystic Ovarian Disorder is again born due to hormonal defects in females (defect in androgen hormones). One of the important factors of PCOD is unintended weight gain.
- Diabetes: many people develop signs of excessive eating in diabetes. Insulin treatment may also lead to weight gain in a long run.
- Apart from above reasons, factors such as stress, depression, kidney & liver disorders, intake of steroids, menopausal periods may also be responsible for weight gain.
Lose your weight naturally
To lose weight naturally, we need to focus on three key factors
- Exercise & Life style
Diet For weight loss:
Generally, a man needs daily diet of 2500 Kcl (calories) and a female needs daily diet of 2000 Kcl to maintain his/her weight. If we plan out our diet in such a way that it reduces our daily calories intake to around 1200-1500 Kcl per day without hampering our daily protein, vitamins and minerals requirements.
To plan out such diet, we can straightaway say NO to fats such as oil, Ghee, Cheese, Paneer, Butter etc. we can also reduce our intake of Potatoes, Refined flours such as maida, Excessive sugar (such as chocolates, ice creams and soft drinks) to minimalistic levels. There are certain diets which can be planned out for weight loss such as…
- Eat a bowl full of salads before every meals
- Eat row grains like oats, Juar, & Jao in daily diet
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day
- Drink green tea
- Eat boiled vegetables
- Don’t drink water for half an hour after meals
- Eat 4-5 small meals instead of two heavy meals
Exercise for Weight Loss:
There are various options in exercises such as stretching, yoga, aerobics etc. for me the most important exercise is WALKING. Daily walking of 4-5 kms is must for weight loss. After walking, if time permits, you can go for any sort of exercises. Walking makes our hormones balanced. Initially, start with 2 kms of walking and increase it gradually up to 4-5 kms a day.
Medicines for Weight Loss:
Weight loss medicines are a lucrative business. Number of high priced medicines are available showing “10 kg weight loss in a month” Labels. Beware of buying such products. It may harm your body. Sudden weight loss or weight gain is not advisable. Weight loss is a process; it should be obtained on a gradual manner. Our years of experience tells that out of all the available medicinal resources, Ayurveda remains the best option to go for weight loss treatment.
Ayurveda and Weight Loss:
Ayurveda has defined obesity (weight gain) as an excessive deposition of Meda dhatu (fat tissues). There are various herbs available in Ayurveda which works upon this Meda dhatu and gradually dilutes it by eroding or eradicating. Such herbs are called Lekhaniya herbs (herbs which erode the sticky depositions and let’s out from the body). Proper usage of such herbs gives astonishing results in Ayurveda treatment for weight loss.
Weight Loss Treatment at Atharva Ayurveda:
For any disease, the most important part in Ayurveda is DIAGNOSIS. Out of thousands of medicines available, the diagnosis helps us to choose the best suitable medicines for the patients. We, at Atharva Ayurveda & Panchakarma Centre, have developed the extensive treatment protocol for weight loss. This is how we treat our weight loss patient.
– By detailed diagnostic measures like Naadi pareeksha (Pulse diagnosis) we try to identify your constitution (Prakriti) & the root cause behind your weight gain (obesity)
– Based on your constitution, we choose our time tested Ayurveda medicines which is best suitable for your body and which eradicates the root cause behind your weight gain, thus providing permanent cure.
– Along with the medicines, we also provide customized diet, exercise and yoga plan best suitable for you for better and quick results.