Neem tree is an Indian plant which is being used for its medicinal values for centuries. Almost 2500 years ago, ancient sages of Ayurveda have described numbers of benefits of neem tree. Today, modern medicinal scientists also accept these benefits after numerous researches. Let’s know the plant first
- Latin name – Azadirachta Indica
- English name – Margosa tree
- Indian name – Neem, Nimba
Ayurveda properties of Neem:
Rasa – Taste – Bitter (tikta) and astringent (kashaya)
Guna – qualities – Light to digest (Laghu), Dry (rooksha)
Vipaka – pungent after digestion. – Katu Vipaka
Veerya – Potency – Cold in nature.
Uses of Neem According to Ayurveda:
- Helps in Diabetes, lowers the blood glucose levels
- Helps in skin diseases like eczema, acne or psoriasis
- Helps to remove bacterial and viral infection
- Increases immunity
- Balances Pitta and Kapha
- Helps in Nausea/vomiting
- Relieves worms
- Helps to relieve anorexia (Aruchi)
- Due to anti microbial properties, it is helpful in fever
Neem leaf benefits:
According to classical Ayurveda text Bhavprakasha, benefits of neem leaves are…
- Neem leaves are good for eyes
- It relieves worm infections
- It balances pitta
- It relieves toxicity
- It helps in anorexia and skin diseases
Neem fruit benefits:
According to classical Ayurveda text Bhavprakasha, benefits of neem fruit are…
- It is oily in nature, easy to digest and hot in property
- It is helpful in constipation
- It is helpful in gas and bloating
- It relieves piles
- It is beneficial in diabetes
How to use neem?
There are various ways one can use neem.
Neem Capsules or tablets: one can use neem as a medicine by indulging Neem capsules or Neem tablets (Nimba Ghana vati) as per the Ayurvedic physicians advise.
Neem powder application (Lepam): mix the neem bark powder or panchanimba powder (this powder contains all the five parts of nimb viz roots, leaves, fruit, flower and bark) with water or honey. Make a paste and apply to skin to get rid of skin infections
Neem bath: persons who have recurrent skin infection, chronic eczema or abscess can have neem bath. Put 2 tbl spoon of neem powder in hot water bucket and mix it. Pour the neem water on the infectious skin part. Doing this on daily bases helps to relieve the skin disorders quickly.
Neem Oil: Neem oil is made from neem fruit and seeds. It has all the qualities mentioned earlier about neem tree. Nowadays, neem oil usage is increasing day by day due to its potent properties
Neem oil benefits:
- Neem oil is anti aging. It helps disappearing the wrinkles from your skin
- Neem oil is potent anti bacterial and anti microbial. It can be applied to skin infections
- Neem oil is useful for hairs. It strengthens the hair roots, promotes hair growth, and treats split hairs.
- Neem oil maintains scalp’s Ph levels. Thus It removes the dandruff quickly
- Being potent disinfective, neem oil is used as one of the ingredients in many organic cleansers and pet care product also.