Our body can be compared with a factory. Our organs are the machines of our body factory which continuously works for our body. The organs are provided energy from our diet and lifestyle. The minus point to be considered about our body factory is, the machines exhaust and become weak over the period of time. This weakness can be seen by various signs and symptoms such as greying of hairs, wrinkles of skin, vision and hearing difficulties, breathing problems, loss of stamina and osteoporosis.
What is Osteoporosis?
To put it simply, Osteoporosis is weakening of our bones. Our bones become brittle and fragile in osteoporosis. When we see our bone under the microscope, it shows a honey comb like structure. In osteoporosis, the holes of the honeycomb structure becomes very large (porous). When the process of osteoclast become more dominant over osteoblast (destruction dominates the creation) the condition like osteoporosis emerges.
People whose age is above 40 are at higher risk of osteoporosis. Ladies are more prone than gents. Specially, ladies who has gone through the menopausal state are at much higher risk.
Causes of osteoporosis:
- Genetic factor
- Lake of vitamin – D and Calcium supplements in the body
- Overuse of Steroids and allied drugs
- Full of rest and no exercises
- Hormonal imbalance. Specially thyroid and androgen hormones.
- Excessive cigarette smoking and alcohol consumption
- Excessive intake of sugar and/or salt
- History of diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis
Do I have osteoporosis?
The diagnosis of osteoporosis is done by X-Rays and bone density tests. Your calcium and vitamin D levels can also suggest about osteoporosis.
Symptoms of Osteoporosis:
Usually there are no symptoms at the early stages, but later, one can experience symptoms such as pain in the back, neck or other areas, frequent fractures, loss of height etc.
Treatment of osteoporosis:
Along with the medicines, one has to be conscious about diet & lifestyle also
- Get exposed to sunlight for 15-20 mins a day
- Have calcium rich food such as milk and milk products, pulses, dry fruits, bananas etc.
- Do regular exercises
- Avoid tobacco and alcohol
- Do not let your weight gain
- Massage your body regularly with til tailam (Sesame oil)
Ayurvedic medicines such as Godanti bhasma, Shatavari, Sahachara, Arjuna, Lakshadi guggulu etc can be of much help. One should try the Ayurvedic medicines as per one’s body constitution, in proper dosage only after consulting the certified Ayurveda Doctor.